Menu Close

A Community Of Ryman-type Setter Enthusiasts

Reply To: Dog Vest

The Ryman Setters Forum Forums Hunting Dog Vest Reply To: Dog Vest

Walt Lesser
Participant

Hi Curtis,

My vest experience is limited to one setter that was sheared too close and needed chest protection for early season hunting.  I initially  used a 100% polyester vest from Orvis that did work but was difficult to put on and take off because the front legs had to be put into sleeves and seemed to stress the old setter somewhat.  I later purchased a vest fro Duluth Trading Co. that worked very well, was much easier to use, and gave the dog more  protection.  This vest has a nylon outer covering over a thin polyester lining and is installed by simply being placed over the dog’s back and has velcro fastened straps around the dog’s neck and belly.  It worked well in heavy cover and I believe was cooler than the first vest I tried.   I recently checked the Duluth website and could not find any dog vest listed.  You might try contacting Duluth Trading if this is of interest.  Hopefully they still carry the item.  The vest even has a pocket on one side, which I could not find a reason for other than maybe to carry the dog’s sandwich.

I did notice that Chewy.com has a wide selection of dog vests available.

Hope this helps some.

Walt Lesser

Ryman Setters Forum