Menu Close

A Community Of Ryman-type Setter Enthusiasts

FDA Warning on Oral Flea and Tick Meds

The Ryman Setters Forum Forums Health FDA Warning on Oral Flea and Tick Meds

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      October Setters
      Keymaster

Thought people would want to know about this.

FDA Alert on Isoxazoline class of flea, tick, products

Lisa

Katie O’Donnell
        Participant

Interesting.  I’ve always been conflicted about flea/tick treatment — I feel like it can’t possibly be harmless, but I also remember life before Frontline and Advantage and everything that followed.  Dealing with fleas was downright miserable for everyone, dogs and humans alike.  Now with the onslaught of tickborne diseases,  I feel like it’s a trade-off, a dose of something nasty to try and prevent something worse.

I’ve used mostly Frontline as a topical in the past, but have been debating going to an oral formulation just for the convenience factor — I hate patting that greasy patch, and I like the idea of not having to coordinate dosing with swimming/bathing times.  This article makes me think otherwise…anyone one here have any preferences they’re willing to share?

I like the results I’ve gotten with the Seresto collar, too.  Does anyone use that alone, or do you use it in addition to oral/topical?

Took the pup on a quick trail walk earlier in the week when the temp went to 60…he walked through a nest of ticks.  First hike led to his first bath!  Got them all rinsed/brushed off before any could attach, but man, do they drive me crazy.

Thunder Bay Setters
          Participant

I too like the Seresto collars which I do not use with anything else and have good results.  No pun intended, and yet a poor one but, you pick your poison.

October Setters
            Keymaster

I have heard other good reports on the Seresto collars. We can’t use collars because our kennel dogs would eat them. Are the Seresto collars built tough enough that they won’t fall off or wear out and break? Years ago we had a dog eat an amitraz collar while in his crate. We are fortunate not to need flea and tick control at home, but Frontline or equivalent has been effective when necessary.

Yes, it’s a lousy pick your poison situation. I personally am more afraid of the oral/systemic type.

Lisa

Katie O’Donnell
              Participant

My dogs go naked at home, too.  I just put the Seresto collar on when I know the dogs are likely to encounter ticks.  They are pretty tough, but annoying to pull on/off.  Just saw that Orvis has a new collar that lets you clip the Seresto collar inside for easy on/off…looks appealing.

Thunder Bay Setters
                Participant

I have had no trouble with them coming off, put them on in the spring and Im good for 8 months

roccus
                  Participant

I use the Seresto during tick season along with an all natural topical repellent before the hunt and a combing with a flea comb after.

Jane Burrows
                    Participant

I used Simparica for two months last year when ticks were particularly bad. Although my vet assured me that he had not seen any adverse reactions in his his practice, trying the product was a very difficult decision.  I live in tick country, where a variety of tick borne illnesses are common.  My older bench-bred English Setter contracted Lyme disease during the spring he ran in hunt tests.  He had been vaccinated for Lyme disease and treated regularly with Frontline.  It was not enough, and the lasting damage of the disease persists six years later even though he was treated as soon as the symptoms appeared.

Because my three dogs are house dogs who are rarely kenneled, the Seresto collar is not a safe option.  I would worry about one of them getting the collar in his mouth during play. Six years ago many of the people at hunt tests said Frontline didn’t seem to be working in the Upper Midwest.  Their experience was based on both spring tests and fall hunting.

I do not heartily endorse Simparica.  I’m simply saying that it worked for my dogs in a very challenging environment.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Ryman Setters Forum