Menu Close

A Community Of Ryman-type Setter Enthusiasts

Hello from New England…

The Ryman Setters Forum Forums Please Introduce Yourself Hello from New England…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie O’Donnell
      Participant

Hello there,

Thought I’d introduce myself.  I’m from southeastern MA and interested in learning more/acquiring a Ryman Setter.

I grew up with Golden Retrievers and just lost my last one to liver cancer at age 6.  I’m completely heartbroken — he was an amazing dog just hitting his prime.  While I showed my Goldens and have done conformation, obedience, and some agility, I have always preferred seeing them in the field, using all of their senses the way they were built to do.  I haven’t hunted before, but I have a farm that backs up to a big swath of conservation land and I am down the street from two tidal rivers and the ocean.  My Golden was a very happy boy, going from the fields to the woods to the boat with ease.

I miss him terribly.  For my next dog, I am looking for something somewhat similar yet different — as funny as that sounds.  I know that he is irreplaceable, so I’m not trying to do that…just looking to find a new friend who will be a good fit.  I’m looking for a true companion, an athletic, biddable dog who will be happy to go everywhere with me and curl up on the couch with me at night.  As someone who has showed and bred horses and dogs, I must also confess that I am partial to really good looking dogs.  I love having my breath taken away watching gorgeous dogs.  I also love knowing the history and background of a breed to really understand what makes a prime example.  I’m impressed with the style and substance that the Rymans seem to have.  I think my preference at this point would be for a male Orange belton or Tri.

Miss hearing a thumping tail near me at all times.  Really enjoying seeing all the photos that people have uploaded here and reading what everyone has to say.  Would love to meet a Ryman in person — if anyone on here is located in New England, please let me know!

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie, welcome.  I know some folks in your area who have ryman-type setters who would probably be happy for you to meet them.  I tried to reply to your email but it bounced back.  Try again?

Katie O’Donnell
        Participant

Hey!  Sent you another email.  Hope it works this time — let me know!

roccus
          Participant

Hi Katie,
            Sent you a PM. Sounds like I’m nearby and have a orange belton Ryman you might like to look at. – Ken

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Ryman Setters Forum