Menu Close

A Community Of Ryman-type Setter Enthusiasts

Old Timer

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Louis
      Participant

i had a Ryman setter back in the 70s that I bought inShola Falls PA. Rymans Bold Buccaneer. The kennel moved to VA. a few years later. I was one of the most enjoyable 8 years  of woodcock and grouse hunting. We started hunting in Wshington County NY and worked our way south during the season. We usually finished in sourthern NJ (Cape May area) and hoped fpr a strong south wind to keep the woodcock from crossing the bay. Hunted New Brunswick Canada one year woodcock hunting was great but grouse hunting was not. There were plenty but they not eild , they would flush and land on a tree within 5 yards. The guide would shoot a few with a 22 for a field lunch over an open fire. I started hunting small game as a kid and was hooked on it. Having a family and owning  abusiness time became a factor. When I started hunted we would hunt one side of the road in the morning and across the street in the afternoon. I miss those days but still cherish the memories. I spend alot of time in Sullivan County NY in the fall if anyone in the area would let tag along to watch the dogs work I would appreciate it just as an observer no gun just a camera. Thanks

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Louis. This is an interesting post for me as a New York State grouse hunter. In my experience the landscapes in New York that supported small traditional style dairy farms that were very common in Washington County, were also very productive grouse and woodcock hunting places. Wish I had seen some of that in its day. What’s the chance you have any pictures of that dog to post?</p>

Louis
        Participant

I will be looking in the phote albums no Iphones in those days might take some time.

Louis
          Participant

Found 1 pic he was about 15 months in this shot, filled out alot more as he grew.

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Ryman Setters Forum